Think outside the (gift) box! Create joy this Christmas with a custom, or handmade gift that will add that extra sparkle under the tree. Not that creative? Never fear. Try a beginner's art workshop, or outsource to the experts and gift a beautiful Santa photo, or a locally made piece from one of our specialist stores.
Weave some magic
Find some festive spirit in a creative workshop! You'll be guided to create your own Christmas masterpiece for decoration or gifting, with all materials supplied. Here's what's coming up soon:
- Christmas Wreath Workshops in the Creative Container on Crown St Mall - 27, 28 November + 4 December. Book a workshop.
- Dried Floral Wreath Workshops with Tuesday Euphoric - 5 Dec. Book a workshop.
- Voart Pottery or Painting Workshops in Crown St Mall throughout November + December. Find a class.
- Paint a Christmas Masterpiece - use a Dine + Discover entertainment voucher towards a Paint + Sip class. Pinot + Picasso and The Sip Studio are both offering special Christmas themed classes - where you can paint your very own Rudolph, Gingerbread House, Snowman or Starry Night.
- DIY Christmas Decorations Workshop at Illawarra Potters Inc - Sat 20 November. Book now.
- Hand-lettering Workshop with The Marker - 8 + 12 December. Book now.
- Macrame Workshops with ZoKnot in Wollongong Central - 5 + 9 December. Book now.
Santa and Santa Pet Photos
Create a memorable gift with a special Santa photo. A magical Christmas castle will soon appear inside Wollongong Central where kids can visit Santa, and have a Covid-safe Santa photo taken. Your fur family can join in the fun too - with a Santa pet photo!
Santa arrives on Sat 13 November so get booking. Bookings are essential and are filling up fast.
Shake it up
You'll be the star guest at Christmas lunch with some expert cocktail skills. Learn to shake and stir like a pro with a masterclass at The Cocktail Lab, a specialised training bar tucked away inside Breakout Bar + Escape Rooms. Each class covers three modern cocktails, and you'll head home with a recipe guide for handy reference.
Gift a mate to come along, or surprise everyone with your delicious creations on Christmas Day!
Handmade in Wollongong
The Illawarra is home to a huge range of talented artists and makers. After a tough two years of lockdowns and cancellations, there's never been a more important time to shop locally and support our creative community. And the bonus is - you get a one-of-a-kind piece!
To find a truly unique gift, head into one of these maker's hubs in the CBD:
Located inside Wollongong Central, Chatterbox is a maker's collective of savvy creatives, who have come together to create a one-stop gift shop. The range changes regularly, with one-off pieces made by locals. You might find candles, macrame, art, dried floral arrangements, jewellery and more. Find Chatterbox on Level 1 Crown, near Priceline.
King + Ayres Homewares: Tucked away in one of Wollongong’s original shopfronts, King + Ayres is a self-described ‘collection of beautiful things’. Stocking an ever-changing range of unique local art, handmade homewares, bespoke timber furniture , jewellery and giftware.
Handmade Christmas Market: The Creative Container on Crown Street Mall will host a pop-up maker's collective between 6-24 December - just in time to do a little gift-shopping. Seven local creatives will be showcasing their wares from jewellery to ceramics to painted skate decks. Find the Container in lower Crown St Mall.
Custom Santa Sacks + Baubles
Add a magical touch to Christmas with personalised Santa Sacks, stockings and baubles. Don't risk shipping delays, order locally at Gala Trophies on Burelli Street.
Two styles of Santa sacks available at just $20 each including customisation.
Baubles are presented in a clear box for gift-giving and just $8 each.
Plan your Christmas
Find all things merry and bright in the CBD in our complete Christmas guide. Get planning now!