Busking in the Wollongong CBD

We welcome a range of busking performances in Crown Street Mall that add vibrancy, and contribute to a strong sense of place for our community. We also recognise the need to consider the ambience and amenity of the public domain area, and to minimise complaints or other potential issues.

What is busking?

Busking is when a donation is sought for street entertainment activities.  ‘Street Entertainment’ is defined as a performance involving playing a musical instrument, singing, giving a recital, conjuring, juggling, puppetry, mime, acrobatics, living sculptures, digital displays or dance acts.

Permit Types + Applying to Busk

There are three permit types for busking in the Crown Street Mall.

Half Day Permit

Fee $3.00

Half-day applications will be assessed and processed immediately at the time of lodgement, and the permit will be issued once payment is received and busking conditions have been agreed to.

Quarterly Permit

Fee $13.50

Requires a screening process. Buskers are to submit a short example of their act online.
Minimum two-week assessment and processing period. Once approval is received via email, you will be prompted to make payment and then be issued your permit for use.

Annual Permit

Fee $40.00

Requires approval. Busker to have held a quarterly permit within the last 12 months.
Minimum two-week assessment and processing period. Once approval is received via email, you will be prompted to make payment and then be issued your permit for use.

Covid-19 Busking Update

Please be advised that there are temporary restrictions on busking in the CBD as follows:

  • Face-to-face operations at the Visitor Information Centres have ceased until further notice. This includes 93 Crown St. Busking permits will no longer be available to obtain over the counter.
  • We are not currently accepting 3-month and 12-month busking applications.
  • It is your responsibility to manage your crowds in line with NSW Health restrictions.
  • No busking is permitted at the following times:
    • Thursday nights during Eat Street Market between 5-9pm
    • Fridays within the Forager's Markets zone between 7am – 3pm

This information is subject to change at short notice based on public health updates.

What you should know about busking

Parental Consent For Minors

We welcome busking performers of all ages, but if you’re under 18 you’ll need to get parental consent before applying. Please download the form below and make sure you attach it to your application.

Permitted Locations

Buskers are welcome to perform at any one of the locations marked on the map below. There may be specific restrictions placed on busking during planned major events. Any busking location may move or become temporarily unavailable during an organised event.

Busking Conditions

Check the busking permit you receive. It will include information about the conditions for busking in Crown St Mall.

Complaints + Compliance

Buskers with a busking permit are encouraged to work co-operatively, take responsibility for managing performance spaces, and resolve any issues amongst themselves. Where this approach is unsuccessful, an educational approach will take place through discussions with permit holders to explain the reasons behind permit conditions.  This open communication aims to resolve issues as amicably as possible.

Where an issue proceeds to a complaint or a report of non-compliance with the permit conditions,  conditions, a Wollongong City Council officer will visit the site to rectify any breaches.  Action will depend on its impacts on safety, access and amenity of the area. If, after all reasonable steps have been taken to resolve  a complaint, a busker may be requested to stop busking or relocate to another site if the performance is:

  • Loud or intrusive
  • Excessively repetitive
  • Causing inconvenience to the public or businesses in the area
  • Likely to cause harm to the public or property

The busker must immediately comply with the request. Pursuant to sections 109, 110 and 627 of the Local Government Act 1993, Wollongong City Council may, in certain circumstances, revoke or modify permits if the permit holder fails to comply with the requirements and conditions of the permit.

Musicians: Performance Opportunities

Keep up to date on local performance opportunities, or submit a performance expression of interest form to Wollongong City Council's Cultural Development team.

You can also sign up to the Cultural newsletter on Council's Art & Culture page.


For busking enquiries in the Crown Street Mall contact the Wollongong City Centre management team:
Call us (02) 4227 7778 or email citycentre@wollongong.nsw.gov.au

For busking enquiries outside of Crown Street Mall contact Wollongong City Council Customer Service (02) 4227 7111.

Image credit: Ella Hirst