Ilu Ilu Bar
Ilu Ilu Bar is a luxurious taste of India – but not as you know it. With time on her hands during lockdowns, visual and electronic artist Abhiruchi Chhikara was inspired to create a venue that offered her favourite things – combining Indian street foods, and quality cocktails. And more importantly, she was determined to bring a glimpse of ‘modern India’ to the region, without the cliches.
The result is a unique tapas bar that feels both exotic and comforting. Abhiruchi and husband Jason have spent months designing and constructing a welcoming cocoon of regal blues, velvetty magentas and splashes of gold that instantly evoke images of decadent Indian palaces with a contemporary twist. In her own words, it’s ‘everything I like about India, without being over the top’.
What's on offer:
- Abhiruchi does all of the cooking, plating up nibbles and small curries based on the dishes she and Jason found themselves cooking most often, and never tiring of, at home.
- The Chicken do Pyaaza in an onion tomato sauce is meltingly delicious - and just the right amount of spice. It pairs perfectly with the creamy South Indian Potatoes and Aaloo Paratha flatbread.
- The cocktail menu stars classics with an Indian twist. Traditional martinis, mules and sours are spiced up with a touch of turmeric, chai, chilli, hibiscus and rose.
- Our picks? Don't miss the delicately spiced Chai Martini, fruity Mango Lassi, and dangerously sweet Batida de Coco.
- Keen to support other local businesses, the team chose Delano Chai and Runner Duck espresso as star ingredients.
- There's a mix of local spirits and Indian favourites. You'll find South Coast Distillery gin, Brix rum, and Great Southern Mead rubbing shoulders with Indian Amrut whiskey and Bira 91
- The food and drinks menu will be tweaked regularly so there's always a new flavour to experience.