Five easy ways to save our scene
Life's just not the same without our regular fix of live music. Our local venues and artists are doing it really tough right now, with live performances - the lifeblood of the industry - currently on hold. The good news is that there are a few very easy ways to help keep the music alive.
- Hold on to your tickets. If you have tickets to a rescheduled show, don't get a refund. Hold on for a future date!
- Spread the word. Found an awesome new band? Tell a friend, shout it from the balcony, and find a way to share the love. Scroll down to find some handy Insta story templates to get the ball rolling.
- Buy merch. Nothing says comfy home gear like your favourite band tee. Treat yourself to a new one and you'll be ahead of the trend for Ausmusic T-Shirt Day in November. Locally, check out the range from Music Farmers, or head straight to individual band's socials for what's new in merch.
- Businesses playing their part. Did you know that if you own or work in a business where music is played, you have a legal obligation to get permission to play that music. Find out what type of license is right for your business, and make sure the royalties end up with the artists, at OneMusic.
- Stream Local. We know you've got some spare hours up your sleeve, and this one requires zero effort on your behalf. Stick on Spotify and listen to one of these local playlists filled with some of the Illawarra's finest. There's a band for everyone in these eclectic mixes. And the best part? When our venues reopen you'll be able to track them down for a local gig!
The Shy Postie Playlist
Local music venue the Postie has created a list of songs by their favourite Wollongong bands. Click here to listen, and don't forget to follow for updates. Tag them on Insta if you want to get an add for your band!
Wollongong Youthy Playlist
Many of us cut our teeth on local all ages gigs at the Wollongong Youth Centre. There are a whopping 8+ hours of local tunes in this playlist snapshotting Wollongong acts over the last few years. We dare you to say you can't find something you like!
Share the Love
Save one of these images, share it to your Instagram or Facebook story, and tag a local artist. You just might make their day!